Tuesday, June 17, 2008

MY ROD LUCKY

This is not really a fishing story, but a story about a fishing rod. What you say! Well about 20 years ago I was living in Key Largo and just taking the boat out through Adams Cut, the water was very clear that day and I noticed something on the bottom. Jumping in to retrieve what happened to be a rod and reel. Not too crusty, I began using it, did a little bottom fishing and caught a few fish. After that day I named my rod Lucky.

Years passed and Lucky continued to perform well, the reels broke down and had to be replaced but Lucky was still intact. I went fishing with my husband and we got into a large school of dolphin, frantic as they are, so my husband became, we were fishing 2 and 3 rods at a time. I yelled to my husband "don't you dare use Lucky and put him down" The reason for this is Lucky has a short handle and will fly out of the rod holder. As soon as I could get the words out Lucky flew off the boat. I was too busy with fish on my line to throw my husband over-board, so we continued to fish. Pulling in our lines, fish on, fish on, pulling up the last line and discovered that the line seem to be tangled in another line. This was strange considering we were in over a thousand feet of water. Grabbing the other line and low and behold it was Lucky with a fish on. Gives a new name to Deep Sea Fishing.

Lucky went with me on a charter and since I wasn't really fishing we stood by and watched. A school of dolphin were now around the boat and my green anglers were having a problem. I told the guys you catch these fish with a booger, at the same time I picked up Lucky and threw the line in, no bait, no booger, fish on. Tell me that isn't Lucky.

To this day Lucky goes on all my fishing trips, my grandson Max is the one who uses Lucky now and he catches far more fish than anyone on the boat. I know that everyone has a favorite lure or rod you call Lucky, but mine really is.

No comments: